100g cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
70g almond meal
1/2 cup (80g) icing sugar, plus extra for dusting (optional)
11/3 cups (200g) plain flour, plus extra
200g dark chocolate, cut into small pieces
180g milk chocolate, cut into pieces
300ml pouring cream
40ml of hot espresso coffee
1 tbsp Dutch cocoa powder
1 tbsp of Galliano
Dark chocolate shavings
1. Pre-heat oven to 180ºC (160ºC fan-forced). Grease and flour a 23cm tart tin.
2. Pastry: place butter, almond meal, icing sugar and egg in a food processor. Process until combined. Add the flour and pulse four or five times until the dough resembles fine, wet sand.
3. Remove dough, gently press it together with your hands, shape into a ball, taking care not to overwork it or the pastry will be tough. Cover with plastic film and rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
4. Take the pastry dough out of the fridge. Using a floured rolling pin, roll it out to a thickness of about 3-4 mm, roll it into the tin and cut off the excess (but make sure to leave a 2 cm rim). Fill the pastry case with baking beads and blind bake for 20 minutes. Remove the baking beads, return to oven for another 5 minutes or until pale golden and dry. Cool the pastry base in its tin for 30 minutes at room temperature, then gently take it out and set aside until ready to fill.
5. Meanwhile, to make the ganache: place the chocolate in a large bowl, heat cream in a saucepan until slightly simmering. Remove from heat, pour onto the chopped chocolate, allow the residual heat to melt it into the cream. Dissolve the cocoa powder into the hot coffee and add to the chocolate mixture along with the Galliano. Mix well and cool down for 10 minutes. Pour the ganache into the tart shell and allow to set at room temperature.
6. To serve: place on serving plate and top with fresh raspberries.
Note: tart will keep in fridge for up to two days. Bring to room temperature for 20-30 minutes before serving: the chocolate will look opaque.
Wine match: Tawny, Topaque or Muscat
Styling: Michaela Le Compte, Food Prep: Julie Ballard